Sider Family Blog

Boy (Brad) meets girl (Pam). Boy and girl get married (1999). Boy and girl have a baby (Lily, 2002), and another (Ella, 2005), and another (Abigail, 2008), and another (Levi, 2009). Boy and girl get a dog (Charlie Brown, 2010). Boy and girl and kids and dog live in Toronto. Boy works at Evergreen (Yonge Street Mission). Girl stays at home with the kids and works part-time at Starbucks. And they all live happily ever after...

Monday, June 21, 2010

May Long Weekend

For some reason I didn't post this in May.  So, I finished it up, and posting it in June.  It's my blog - I'll do what I want!


I don't remember the ice cream truck coming by our house very often as a kid, but here it seems like we hear it EVERY day!  Once while Lily and I were walking Charlie Brown, we heard the circus style music and for some reason I actually had cash in my pocket, I rarely have "real" money in hand.  So, as a treat, Lily got her pick of something cool and delicious for that hot, hot day.  When we returned home, Ella saw Lily's special treat and got a little upset that she was without.  She spent the rest of the afternoon looking out the window waiting for it to come by our house.  It didn't.  Then, as if I had arranged it myself, a week later, on Ella's birthday, the truck came by our house and I quickly ran after the truck... and I mean RAN.  If I was the driver of the ice cream truck, I think that my plan would be to drive slowly through the streets, watching out rear view mirrors for possible customers.  And then I would go back down that same street again.  You know, give parents and children a bit of time to grab their cash, get their shoes on, etc.  Well, this guy didn't.  It seemed like it was a bad joke.  He would slow down, and then race off, slow down, and then race off again, all they way down our street.  Finally, he saw me and pulled over.  Because it was Ella's birthday, I asked if he could circle around and drive by our house again, just for her.  He did.

On Saturday after work, I was on a walk with Charlie on my own and I heard the ice cream truck music.  And again, I had some "real" money with me.  I figured it would be a nice treat for the kids for me to pick something out for them, but I couldn't track down the truck.  By the time I got home, the girls could hear the music too, and asked if we could all go outside and wait for the truck to drive by.  I had just come back from a 7 hour shift from work, and a long walk, so my plan was to just sit on the steps and wait for it.  The thing about the ice cream truck, is that the music is cranked so loud, that it always sounds like it is at the end of your street.  Eventually the girls ended up asking if we could go to the corner and see if we could see it from there.  "I'll just take you to the corner, and then we'll come right back."  We got to the street corner, and nothing.  "Well, maybe we'll just go down one more street.  I think it's coming from down here."  Nothing.  Another street.  Nothing.  Another street.  Nothing!!  I'm not sure who made up the plans for our neighbourhood, but they messed it up!  Instead of streets forming a square grid, with straight streets, everything is on a diagonal, zig zags or curves.  It is very easy to think you know where you are and get all turned around, and then lost.  So, as the kids and I are searching for the music, we get further and further away from home.  Finally, after an hour of searching, we decide to head home.  It's then that the music is louder than ever... and here comes the ice cream truck!  The girls wave him down to make sure he sees us.  PHEW!!  The girls each got an ice cream cone, one dipped in chocolate, one without.  After all that work, I thought that I deserved a treat too and got myself one too!  Aren't weekends supposed to be restful and relaxing?  I'm tuckered out!



Sunday, we were able to nab a babysitter (thanks Miss Trisha!) and Brad and I took off for the evening.  Dinner at Moxies and Robin Hood.  It was nice to get out.  Kind of a last night celebration of Brad's Paternity Leave coming to an end.  He heads back to work on Tuesday, boo hoo!  What a treat to have had these three months together as a family.  I wish it had been in the summer when the girls didn't have school, but I'll take what I can get.  Next time we'll be spending this much time together, we'll probably be retired.  We'll miss you Brad!  Thanks for taking the time to be with us!  Love you lots!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

derek and i went on a dinner/robin hood date too!
so glad that you were able to spend 3 months together as a huge family!

7:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home